Do you want your backyard to be a sanctuary for the birds, bees, butterflies, and perhaps other wildlife native to Florida? Then consider adding plants to your yard that are a natural haven or source of food for Florida wildlife. Here are just some of the benefits you get from incorporating plants that attract wildlife:
You will provide places for local wildlife to nest, eat, and sleep.
Your yard can be a source of peaceful wildlife viewing. You may even discover new wildlife that you didn’t know about before.
You will learn more about the birds, bees, and butterflies native to Florida.
You will wisely maximize use of the land, potentially cutting costs.
Some examples of native plants known to attract wildlife in Florida include the beautyberry, live oak, cabbage palm, longleaf pine, wax myrtle, and sweetgum. Find a short description of each plant and pictures of them in a University of Florida’s “Using Native Plants” article.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind to successfully set up your plantings to attract wildlife.
1. Mix it up. Aim for a mix of native plants, flowers, and fruit. By diversifying your plant mix, you can ensure you’ll have a colorful, native-friendly yard year-round that helps wildlife in different ways. Diversifying the mix also lessens damage from pests or disease.
2. Think from high to low. Use a mix of plants that have varying heights, as each form of wildlife may feed or find shelter at different levels.
3. Consider not only the state you are in but also your region and specific locale. Although Florida’s generally known for warm weather, there can be a fairly large variation in the weather by region, and that affects what is ideally grown in various areas of the state. Do your research to make sure you are investing in plants that are specific for your location. A helpful resource online is the Florida Native Plant Society.
4. Don’t forget insects. Insects may not be first and foremost in your mind when planning your landscaping, yet consider the large quantity of insects that certain birds consume each day. By planting flowers, shrubs or trees that naturally attract insects, those lovely birds will quickly follow.
5. Get help. Local garden groups, extension centers, and even growers at farmers markets can be reliable and often free resources as you choose your native plants. Arbor Landscapes also can be a great resource for you and can help you to maintain your plantings year-round.
Arbor Landscapes Paves the Way in Local Landscaping
At Arbor Landscapes, your property is our mission. We are a full-service landscape company offering a variety of services, including an eco-friendly space, lawn care, xeriscaping, lighting and irrigation. Arbor Landscapes is dedicated to providing service in Siesta Key, Bird Key, Longboat Key, Casey Key, Sarasota, Bradenton, Anna Maria Island, and Lakewood Ranch. We have extensive experience working in the Florida climate and are committed to creating the landscape of your dreams. Whether you need lawn-care maintenance, landscaping design, or want to try eco-friendly xeriscaping, Arbor Landscapes is your company. We are here to transform your lawn into something amazing that you will love. Call us today at 941.927.8002, or visit us online.